NEW: Recently Qualified Teacher (RQT) network 2018-2019: taking on a new subject leadership role
Course dates: 4 x Thursday twilights – 4.15pm – 5.45pm across the year – 27th Sept 2018, 15th Nov 2018, 21st March 2019, 27th June 2019
Course venue: Whitehall Primary School
£25 per session, £80 for all 4
Target Audience: Early Career Teachers – those in primary schools who have recently completed their NQT induction year and teachers who are in their second or third year post-NQT
Facilitator: Bristol SLE team / school leaders
Following the successful NQT programme, the teaching school team are again offering on-going support to teachers moving into their second or third year, which presents new challenges. There is often less non-contact time, greater demands and subject leadership to take on. The RQT programme aims to bring teachers together to develop their practice and career as well as provide a support network across the city.
The sessions will all be run as four twilights across the year and will focus particularly on subject leadership.
In recent years the DfE use the term ‘subject leaders’ as the preferred generic term which captures the essential leadership aspect of their work and acknowledges their importance in securing high standards of achievement within a given subject.
This programme is designed to:
- support the role of subject leaders through defining key elements to successful practice;
- provide a useful starting point for teachers embarking on their first step in leadership;
- support staff who are taking on a new subject leader role
- provide useful models of self-evaluation.
This programme will cover:
- What makes effective Subject Leadership? The role of the subject leader
- Self Evaluation (Monitoring, Lesson Observation, Work Sampling)
- Subject Action / Raising attainment plans
- Strategic direction and development of the subject
- Teaching and learning
- Leading and managing staff – holding others to account and managing difficult conversations.
- Efficient and effective deployment of staff and resources
The sessions can be purchased as a whole programme i.e. all four sessions or on a ‘pick and mix’ basis and has been subsidised by the teaching school this year.
Session 1: Twilight Thursday 27th September 2018, 4.15pm to 5.45pm
Focus: New year, new challenges – taking on a leadership role – what and how?
Session 2: Twilight Thursday 15th November 2018, 4.15pm to 5.45pm
Focus: Self evaluation and monitoring my subject – what does it look like? What can I do? What next?
Session 3: Twilight Thursday 21st March 2019, 4.15pm to 5.45pm
Focus: Effective deployment of resources / Time management and prioritisation
Session 4: Twilight Thursday 27th June 2019, 4.15pm to 5.45pm
Focus: Thinking beyond the classroom: developing your leadership role; career development; how to hold others to account and manage those difficult conversations
Book now using our secure online checkout.
You will not be required to enter payment details at this stage. We will send you an invoice for payment by cheque or bank transfer.
£25 per session, £80 for all 4
For further information, please e-mail BPTSA@bristol-schools.uk or just use the button!