The National Professional Qualification of Senior Leadership (NPQSL)
Course date: The next programme will begin in September 2018.
Course venues: Whitehall Primary School (Bristol), Backwell School (North Somerset), Corsham Primary School (Wiltshire/South Glos); Abbot Alphege School, (Bath and North East Somerset)
£1,250 with reductions for eligible participants/schools
Target Audience: The NPQSL is aimed at early years, primary and secondary colleagues who are, or are aspiring to become a senior leader with responsibility for leading across the school, such a phase leader, core subject leader on the senior leadership team, head of department, deputy headteacher, assistant head teacher, or other senior staff.
Facilitator: Outstanding senior leaders from the teaching schools
NPQSL is the nationally accredited leadership programme for aspiring and serving senior leaders. NPQ@teachingschools is a unique partnership of eight teaching school alliances in the wider Bristol area with a strong track record of delivering exceptional professional development. As a newly designated DfE licenced provider, the Bristol Primary Teaching School Alliance has worked with our partner teaching schools to create and deliver a new and innovative senior leadership programme designed by experienced, current school leaders in order to develop the potential of the talented and motivated school leaders across our region.
National Professional Qualification for Senior Leadership: NPQSL
Who is it aimed at?
Accredited by the Department for Education, this nationally recognised programme is aimed at early years, primary and secondary colleagues who are, or are aspiring to become a senior leader with responsibility for leading across the school, such a phase leader, core subject leader on the senior leadership team, head of department, deputy headteacher, assistant head teacher, or other senior staff.
Starting in September 2018, the NPQSL programme takes between 12 and 18 months to complete and involves:
- A twilight launch event for delegates and mentors
- 4 full day face to face core training sessions facilitated by outstanding senior leaders from across the region
- Minimum of 2 elective module sessions (½ day) on one or more of the following areas: Leading in an inner city school; Accelerating outcomes of disadvantaged pupils; staff well-being; leading in a faith school context; leading in the Early Years; SEND.
- School based improvement project and case study (5000 words)
- Self-directed professional reading
- Individual leadership profiling
- Support from school based mentor
- Support from a professional coach and coaching sessions
- ½ day assessment presentation
- Opportunity to gain credits (Bath Spa University)
During the programme delegates will develop their 7 leadership behaviours: commitment; collaboration; personal drive; awareness; respect; resilience and integrity.
In addition, delegates complete and collect evidence against 6 areas of study:
- leading with impact;
- increasing capability;
- working in partnership;
- strategy and improvement;
- teaching and curriculum excellence and;
- managing resources and risk.
Where is the programme delivered?
Delegates can choose to access this programme at one of our hubs, which will be assigned according to numbers:
- Whitehall Primary School, Bristol
- Backwell School, North Somerset
- Corsham Primary School, Wiltshire
- Abbot Alphege School, Bath and North East Somerset
Participants from any Local Authority region may attend the hub of their choice, for example, someone who lives in Bristol and works in Wiltshire could attend the Bristol hub.
£1,250 per delegate
Fees will be reduced to £1,000 for eligible participants/schools if you meet one or more of the following criteria:
- The applicant is from a school with more than 30% of children currently in receipt of Free School Meals (not Pupil Premium figures) as referenced on the latest DfE school performance tables website;
- The applicant is from a BME background
- The applicant’s school has <150 pupils on roll as referenced on the latest DfE school performance tables website.
OR a 10% reduction to full course fees will be applied to the second and subsequent applicants if more than one person from your school makes an application to participate in the same cohort of NPQSL.
Full course fees will be reimbursed for participants meeting the following requirements:
- They are enrolled on an NPQ course;
- They work in a school in a Category 5 or 6 area*;
- They do not already hold the NPQ for which they have enrolled;
- They have not previously enrolled with the NPQ provider for the same NPQ course and dropped out before completing it; and
- The Department for Education has not previously paid for their NPQ course.
*In the South West, these areas are: Weymouth and Portland; West Somerset; Torridge and Swindon. (If you are a participant from one of these areas, we will contact you upon application regarding reimbursement of course fees when further information has been released from the DfE.)
Making your application
The window for application is now open for the NPQML, NPQSL and NPQH.
The window will close at at 12pm on 14th September 2018 in readiness for an October 2018 intake.
To download an application form, please use the link below…
When completed, pleasure return by email to: NPQ@TeachingSchools.org.uk