Effective Grammar Teaching in Year 5 and Year 6 – improving SPAG and writing outcomes
Year 5 and Year 6 teachers / English subject leaders
Jane Carter + English SLEs
Friday 2nd March 2018 (half day) - 1.15 - 4.15
Whitehall Primary School
Year 5 and 6 Effective Grammar Teaching – improving SPAG and writing outcomes
This day course focuses on the requirements for the teaching of grammar in relation to the SPAG assessment and also as a way to support children’s writing in light of the changes to arrangements for the assessment of writing in recent years.
• To understand the requirements for grammar in the curriculum and assessment criteria
• To develop teacher subject knowledge
• To explore how grammar teaching can be embedded into the teaching of writing.
• To explore approaches to teaching grammar including games and activities that can be used in SPAG lessons
Who is it aimed at?
The course is aimed at year 5 and 6 teachers as well as subject leaders who wish to update their subject knowledge and refresh their approaches to teaching.
• Reviewing and renewing subject knowledge
• Developing and sharing approaches to teaching SPAG
• Getting to grips with the requirements of the interim arrangements for the assessment of writing
• Developing approaches to the teaching of grammar embedded in the teaching of writing